Exporting content from Blackboard and Importing it into Canvas
Part 1: Exporting Course Content from Blackboard
- Log into Blackboard and open the course that you want to export.
- On the left navigation, click on the Control Panel.
- Select Packages and Utilities > Export/Archive Course.
- On the Archive Course page, click Archive Course.
On the Archive Course page, under the File Attachments section, leave the selected default settings as is, that is:
- Select the box next to “Copy links and include copies of the files in the course default directory.”
- Select the box next to “Copy only links to files stored outside of the course default directory.”
- Blackboard creates the archive package, and you will get the following notification: “Success: This action has been queued. An email will be sent when the process is complete.”
- This process will take a few minutes, navigate back to the Export/Archive Course area (steps 1-4) or refresh the page, and you will see an archive file link. Download and save the zip file to your computer.
- Note: The.zip file will download to your computer. DO NOT UNZIP BLACKBOARD ARCHIVE ZIP FILES.
Part 2: Importing the Course Content into Canvas:
- Log in to Canvas and open the course where you want to import the content.
- On the left navigation, click the Settings link.
- Click the Import Course Content link.
- Select Blackboard 6/7/8/9 export .zip file from the drop-down menu and choose file (export zip file from Bb saved to your computer).
- Select the radio button “Select specific content” if you want to choose specific content.
- Click on Import. A status bar will appear under Current Jobs, indicating how much of the file has been processed.
5. Once the course has finished importing, the status bar will indicate when the job is completed.
6. Refresh and review the course materials to ensure all your content is migrated.
Note: We recommend using Google Chrome or Firefox browser when migrating content from Blackboard to Canvas. Many of these directions will not work using the Safari browser.
Click here for the instructions to Export content from Blackboard and Import it into Canvas. Also, for your convenience, download the attached file.