Recover from the AutoRecovery
Unlike recovering unsaved Word documents in Windows, the file recovery on Mac from the AutoRecovery folder is different.
- Open "Finder" on your Mac, then head to "Go" > "Go to Folder".
- Type: ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data/Library/Preferences/AutoRecovery and click "Go".
- Open the AutoRecovery folder, locate all the files that start with the words "AutoRecovery save of". Select the one you want to recover, rename the file, then add the ".doc" filename extension.
- Double-click the file. The document now opens in Word for Mac.
- Click the File menu and select "Save As"'. Type a new name for the file into the Name field, select a folder for the file and click the "Save" button.