What is browser cache?
In order to speed up web browsing, web browsers are designed to download web pages and store them locally on your computer's hard drive in an area called "cache". Browser cache (also know as Internet cache) contains records of every item you have viewed or downloaded while Internet surfing. So when you visit the same page for a second time, the browser speeds up display time by loading the page locally from cache instead of downloading everything again.
Although storing Internet cache makes web browser faster as it usually takes your computer less time to display a web page when it can open page's elements or even the entire page from your local Temporary Internet Files folder, You sometimes want to overrule the Internet cache, for Example to see changes you made to a webpage you just uploaded.
Clearing Cache Memory
To ensure you see the latest version of a site you need to clear the cache memory. This is done by doing a force refresh by pressing both Control and F5 buttons simultaneously on your keyboard (depending on your browser). Most times a simple force cache refresh won't work and you need to clear the cache by hand.
Delete cookies for a single site
To delete cookies for one site:
Click the menu button and choose Options.
Select the Privacy and Security panel.
- Go to Cookies and Site Data
- Click Manage Data. The Cookies window will appear.
- In the Search: field, type the name of the site whose cookies you want to remove. The cookies that match your search will be displayed.
- Select the cookie(s) in the list to remove and click Remove Selected.
- If you want to remove all cookies. Select the first cookie and press Shift+End to select all the cookies in the list.
- Click Close to close the Cookies window. Close the about:preferences page.
Delete all cookies
To delete all cookies stored on your computer, either open the Cookies window as explained above and use the Remove All Cookies button, or else do the following:
Click the menu button go to Privacy & Security, choose History, and then Clear Recent History....
- Set Time range to clear to Everything.
- Click on the arrow next to Details to expand the list of history items.
- Select Cookies and make sure that other items you want to keep are not selected.
- Click Clear Now to clear the cookies and close the Clear Recent History window.